The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) has revised its Conditions of Participation (CoPs) to officially adopt the 2012 edition of NFPA 99: Health Care Facilities Code. NFPA 99 requires "wet procedure locations" to be provided with special protection against electric shock. Isolated Power Systems are the preferred method of achieving this protection where power interruption cannot be tolerated. NFPA 99 also clearly states that these systems are to be inspected regularly.
How often should Isolated Power Panels be tested?
NFPA 99 Code requires all Line Isolation Monitors (LIMs) to be tested and documented at least once every 12 months (every month for older, analog designs).
- "22.214.171.124.4 The LIM circuit shall be tested at intervals of not more than 1 month by actuating the LIM test switch. For a LIM circuit with automated self-test and self-calibration capabilities, this test shall be performed at intervals of not more than 12 months. Actuation of the test switch shall activate both visual and audible alarm indicators." - NFPA 99 - 2012
Code also requires that LIMs are tested after any "repair or renovation" to the system using external fault loads.
- "126.96.36.199.5 After any repair or renovation to an electrical distribution system, the LIM circuit shall be tested in accordance with 188.8.131.52.2." - NFPA 99 - 2012
- "184.108.40.206.2 Line Isolation Monitor Tests. The line isolation monitor (LIM) circuit shall be tested after installation, and prior to being placed in service, by successifely grounding each line of the energized distribution system through a resistor whose value is 200 x V (ohms, where V equals measured line voltage.) The visual and audible alarms (see 220.127.116.11.3.2) shall be activated." - NFPA 99 - 2012
PG LifeLink Annual Field Testing Services:
PG LifeLink offers Annual Testing for all facilities using Isolated Power. PG LifeLink’s qualified Field Service Technicians are specifically trained on all brands and models of Isolated Power Systems.
Testing to cover the minimal NFPA requirements is often performed internally by Biomed facility personnel. This type of testing will provide some minimal information about the health of the system. However, these basic tests do not provide the type of data necessary to spot trends and ensure that system reliability is not compromised in the future.
Benefits of Manufacturer Field Service and Maintenance
- Identify developing potential problems that may interfere with procedure room use
- Provide documentation of tests result for accrediting agency audits
- Annual testing by PG LifeLink extends the warranty on our own qualified Line Isolation Monitors (LIMs) for one additional year
PG LifeLink offers one and three year Annual Testing Contracts. The testing completed by our Field Service Technicians far surpasses the minimal requirements to remain compliant for NFPA and Joint Commission audits. Learn more by visiting Annual Field Testing.
or Contact Us at 800.287.4123